Friday, March 12, 2010

The Final Adios

Our plan was laid out at breakfast. Well, sort of. It seemed like there were a million loose ends to tie - donation distribution, birthday parties, final goodbyes. Plus, we needed to send Danilo and some others to the market to buy the rest of the supplies which meant no translator! Jenni and Jordan flew out that morning and we were already missing them, which meant we didn't even want to the THINK about saying goodbye to the kids. It was much easier to think about what needed to be done.

Once we arrived at the orphanage a few of us went to work organizing the donations into little bags to giving to each child. Piles of watches, toothbrushes, underwear, and soap covered the room which was at first a little overwhelming. However, when you put four women in a room - they will organize! The boys were most excited and proud to get the watches. One little boy kept showing me his and flexing his muscles.

Next was project PAR-TAY. 11 cakes, 4 pinatas, and 110 sugar-hyped kids later we had celebrated every single child's birthday! After a beautiful and very off-key (if I do say so myself) "Feliz Cumpleonos" we broke out the pinatas. We knew they were a hit when all the kids swarmed one that had dropped tearing it to shreds in order to get every piece of candy and dollar stuffed inside. I believe I still have sticky sugar all over my clothes :)

They young mom's have been on our hearts all week. The Amandas were able to teach them basic care such as keeping them cool. They've been wrapping them in layers of clothes and fleece blankets in the 90 degree heat. One result has been heat rashes. Many of the were very receptive and hopefully will continue to learn how to take care of their babies.

Then the dreaded goodbye. I personally had avoided the thought since the moment I met all of their beautiful eyes. We started to make our way to the truck the whole way giving out a towel to each and every child. The whole way I told myself, "Ok Mary Lauren, just keep yourself together". After a little boy came up to me with a big smile and told me, "Thank you for my towel," I lost it. BIG TIME. Before, they had been sharing one towel for every 25 kids so this was a big deal. Not to mention some of the kids had started their own water works. I tried to hug and kiss as many as I could. The kids we had bonded the most with clung to our arms and legs, begging us to not forget them. I looked around at the other team members only to see them crying too and receiving notes from the kids. They told us we were their angels from God and that they would be waiting until we come back.

The final adios was one of the hardest things probably all of us have ever done. But I thank God for protecting the kids. I have never understood God's love the way I did when I looked down at their innocent eyes and smiling faces that told the story of His sacrifice for us. Halleluiah! He would have died rather than live without us.

-Mary Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment