Thursday, March 4, 2010

Go with us to El Salvador!

I am so excited to leave Saturday for El Salvador with a team from Visiting Orphans. This team formed pretty quickly in October when I talked to Amanda, who is the director of Visiting Orphans. We were at the Together for Adoption conference and she asked me to take a trip with Visiting Orphans. I told her I would love to, but my husband has gallstones and he cannot go out of the country until they get removed this summer. She said, "Then why don't you lead a trip?"

Yeah, why don't I? That conversation got me very excited to think I could do something like that. We adopted Amelia from China in 2005. It was a wonderful experience and I love sharing about adoption what God taught me during that time. I have always wanted to do more. There are around 147 million orphans in the world. That number is overwhelming. What can one person do really? I am compelled to do something. I am going to use the freedom and resources God has blessed me with to do something. Well, our team of 11 people have been called to go to El Salvador to work with about 110 orphans for a week. God has formed our team and I am so excited! I even get to serve with my brother and sister-in-law while there!
I hope to update here as we serve and let you know how God is already at work in El Salvador...because He is at work there! We get front row seats and I want to share the view with you. Maybe after this trip you too will see that you can do something.

We are amazed at how has God raised up such an amazing team to be our supporters. The 7 of us that are coming from the Nashville area all are checking a whole bag each filled with supplies for the orphanage. We were able to get a list from the orphanage director of very specific needs. We shared this with our churches and community. We are so grateful to have so many supporting us and praying for us! It is beautiful to see the body of Christ at work!

One of the things that is a real need at the orphanage is their lice problem. Most if not all of them have lice. We have 4 nurses on the team and others that are ready to get messy. We called the Nix company and they donated 114 treatments to us! We also called the Robi Comb company and they donated Robi Combs and shampoo for our trip. We have never used these electronic combs, but we are excited to try them out. We arrive in San Salvador Sat. night and plan to start the lice treatment Sunday! Pray for us. We know it is a big job, but if these were my children, I would want to do something to help the discomfort of lice.

Other things we plan to do are: health physicals that they have to get done every year, take some of them to the beach, pizza party, "nail salon day", a shopping spree to buy some bigger things they need, and also just play with the kids.

So go with us!
Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment