Sunday, March 7, 2010

Kisses from Heaven

Today was beautiful! We stayed at an amazing place last night in San Salvador. It felt more like a home! We had a great breakfast and went to the local "Walmart" to get supplies we needed for the orphanage. We had a great lunch and then arrived at the orphanage around 3.

When we pulled up to the orphanage, we were greeted by lots of kids running all around us. They ran up to us and hugged us like they had know us for years. Actually, Jenni, Angela, and Edwin came to this same orphanage back in November. So it was fun to see the kids come up and call them by name. Jenni had taken their pictures back in Nov. and got them developed and game them to them. THEY LOVED IT! There is not many things that they can call "theirs". You could almost feel the joy all day. The children just wanted to be next to you and hug on you. They could not get enough of the love! Neither could we! I was sad when we had to go and many followed the truck to the gate.

I was telling one of the girls about how I adopted my daughter from China. She had just told me the story about how she had lived in the states for 12 years with her mom. Then she had to come here to live with her dad because her mother did not want her anymore. She could not stay with her dad because we works two jobs and is never at home. That is why she ended up in the orphanage. She turned to me and asked, "Can you adopt me?" I told her how I wished I could. Adoption in El Salvador is so hard right now. It takes years and is not predictable. There were lots of kids I wish we could just take home:) There were many sad stories, but we are all amazed at the joy these kids have even though there is so much. We felt that the love these kids showed us today was like "kisses from heaven".

We bought them all ice cream and that was a treat for them. Internet connection is spotty at our hotel. Tomorrow we will try to start to de-lice the kids! I will try to post pics soon. I kept crashing tonight.

1 comment:

  1. That would have broken my heart to pieces Wendy!! I have fallen in love with certain pre teen girls on my last two trips. Each time, I want to bring them home. I've never had one ask me to adopt them though. Isn't it so crushing that adoption is not really an option like we hope? Praying for you all...

    ReplyDelete